Jan Tschichold – born 2.4.1902 in Leipzig, Germany, died 11.8.1974 in Locarno, Switzerland – typographer, calligrapher, author, teacher.
- 1919–21: studies at the Akademie für Graphische Künste und Buchgewerbe in Leipzig.
- 1921–23: is one of Walter Tiemann’s master pupils and assistant to Hermann Delitsch.
- 1925: publication of Tschichold’s special issue of "Typographische Mitteilungen" magazine, entitled "elementare typographie".
- 1926–33: teaches typography and callygraphy at the Meisterschule für Deutschlands Buchdrucker in Munich. 1933: dismissed from teaching by the National Socialists. Emigrates to Basle, Switzerland.
- 1933–40: works for Benno Schwabe publishers and teaches at the Allgemeine Gewerbeschule in Basle.
- 1941–46: typographer for the Birkhäuser publishing house in Basle.
- 1946–49: redesigns the typography for Penguin Books in London.
- 1949: honorary member of the Double Crown Club.
- 1954: is awarded a gold medal by the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) in New York.
- 1955–67: typographer for Hoffmann-La Roche in Basle.
- 1964 and 1971: is awarded a gold medal at the "International Book Art" ehibition in Leipzig.
- 1965: awarded a Gutenberg Prize by the city of Leipzig. Corresponding member of the Deutsche Akademie der Künste in Berlin.
43 Families Found
- Text Size:
- Text Color: