Justus Erich Walbaum
Justus Erich Walbaum – born 25. 1. 1768 in Steinlah, Germany, died 31. 1. 1839 in Weimar, Germany – type founder, type designer, punch cutter. Trained as a spice merchant and pastry cook in Braunschweig. Further trainig as a form cutter, music engraver and punch cutter. Cut and cast commemorative coins.
- 1796: buys printer Ernst Wilhem Kircher’s type foundy in Goslar.
- 1803: the type foundry moves to Weimar.
- 1828: Walbaum hands over the type foundry to his son, Theodor, who is killed in an accident in 1830. J. E. Walbaum continues to run the business.
- 1836: Walbaum sells his type foundry to F. A. Brockhaus in Leipzig.
- 1918: H. Berthold AG in Berlin gains possession of art of the Walbaum foundry and some of its matrices.
5 Families Found
- Text Size:
- Text Color: